Registration of Ships in Belize Ship Registry
All about registration of ships and also all the documents required for the registration of all kinds of sea crafts including fishing vessels and the registration of watercrafts. Age limit and shipowner eligibility.
Registration of ships comprises two stages:
- Provisional Registration
- Permanent Registration
Registration of Ships (Provisional)
In accordance with The Registration of Merchant Ships Act 1989, as amended by Act No. 5 of 1996, a provisional registration of a ship is valid for six months.
During this time, the shipowner or his representative is expected to gather all documents necessary for permanent registration.
For provisional registration the following documentation is required:
- Request for confirmation of availability of vessel's name.
- Application for Registration of Ships form duly completed and signed by the applicant. One application for each vessel is required. This application includes the necessary information for the issuance of a Provisional Ship Station License.
- Application for Minimum Safe Manning Certificate.
- Proof of Ownership in the form of duly legalized or certified by Deputy Registrar Bill of Sale, Auction Document or Builder's Certificate.
- Appointment of a shipping agent in Belize (the Shipping Agents in Belize act as an “assured communication link with owners” in accordance with the requirements of Registration of Merchant Shipping Act as well as the provisions of Act 10(2) of the U.N. Convention of Conditions for Registration of Ships, 1986 which states that “the Flag State should ensure that there is a representative of the owner of the Ship flying its flag domiciled therein”. The shipping agent in Belize acts on behalf of the ship owner and in that capacity does not provide such services. Please note that all services requested will be effected by our office).
- Power of Attorney appointing a shipping agent in Belize (the actual list of Shipping Agents may be requested from Deputy Registrar).
- Letter of confirmation from an authorized radio accounting entity undertaking the payment of vessel's radio accounts (actual list of approved AAICs may be requested in our office).
- Letter of confirmation from an authorized Classification Society about vessel acceptance under its supervision.
- Proof of Third Party Liability Insurance Cover (P & I), applicable for vessels of 7501grt or more.
- Proof of compliance with ISM Code (where applicable), namely:
- Copy of Document of Compliance, or Confirmation from the Recognized Organization that the company is in the process of attaining certification of the latter;
- Copy of Safety Management Certificate or Confirmation from the Recognized Organization that the ship is in the process of attaining certification of the latter.
- Applications for the Endorsements of Licenses for all officers& Engineers as well as Endorsements for Ratings working onboard the vessel.
- The settlement of the fees applicable.
For receiving of provisional registration, the abovementioned documents may be submitted by fax or e-mail.
All provisional and permanent documents, such as Patent of Navigation, Minimum Safe Manning Certificate, Ship Station License and Endorsements for crew members etc. may be obtained from our office directly without any delays.
Vessels under construction may be granted provisional registration under special conditions.
Registration of Ships (Permanent)
Permanent Registration can be effected at any time during the provisional registration period upon submission of the necessary documentation together with the applicable fees.
For permanent registration the following documentation is required:
- Originals of Application forms:
- Application for Registration of Ships;
- Application for Minimum Safe Manning Certificate;
- Application for the Endorsements of Licenses for crew members;
- Application form for Maritime Ship Station License;
- Original or certified true copy of a duly legalized Bill of Sale, Judicial Sale Instrument or Builder Certificate.
- Duly legalized Original Deletion Certificate from previous registry.
- Original or certified true copy of the Power of Attorney appointing a shipping agent in Belize.
- Copies of all valid statutory certificates with supplements issued by a Recognized Organization on behalf of the Government of Belize:
- DOC, or Confirmation from the Recognized Organization that the company is in the process of attaining certification of the latter;
- SMC, or Confirmation from the Recognized Organization that the ship is in the process of attaining certification of the latter;
- etc (if any)
All documents submitted in other than English language must be accompanied by an official translation thereof.
If an original is to be submitted, a notary public or Deputy Registrar must certify the authenticity of the signature(s) that appear(s) on the document as well as the authority of the person(s) executing the document.
If a photocopy is to be submitted, a notary public or Deputy Registrar must certify the authenticity of the signature(s) that appear (s) on the document as well as the authority of the person(s) executing the document, and must certify that the document is a true copy of its original.
Our Deputy Registrar is authorized by Administration to perform as certifying official for such purposes.
Permanent status does not require renewal every 5 years.
There are no requirements concerning local ownership or participation in ownership.
With effect from 1st March 2005, the age limit guideline for new Registrations was reduced from 30 years to 25 years for all vessels except yachts, fishing vessels, non-propelled barges, special registrations and also registrations which are immediately chartered out (temporary deleted) for bareboat registration under other than Belize flag. At the discretion of the Belize Ship Registry, the age limit of 25 years may be exceeded in exceptional circumstances based on the vessel's detention record, the ship owner/operator's record, the area of intended operation.